The reason my window manager is called "AHWM" is because all the good
names are taken. In order to reduce your googling, this is a list of
window manager names that take the form "?wm" where "?" is a letter.
Note that most of the letters are taken and a few have been used more
than once. Also note that the following names are free: 2wm, 3wm, 5wm,
6wm, 7wm, 8wm, 0wm (1wm, 4wm and 9wm are taken).
Also of interest might be my table of two letter Unix commands.
- Open: ewm, fwm, qwm.
- Possibly open: bwm, cwm, owm, rwm, ywm, zwm.
- awm: Ardent Window Manager
mentioned on plig website, can't find a web page.
- bwm: Boris's Window Manager [sic]
Looks like just an idea, can't find any code.
- cwm: Cambridge Window Manager
No code found, above site mentions it was "written at IBM (?) for X11R3."
- dwm: DESQview Window Manager
This seems to have little to do with X, but I'd consider the name taken.
Seems open, might be confused with Enlightenment.
Seems open, often confused with fvwm.
- gwm: Generic Window Manager
Configurable Lisp-based window manager.
- hwm: Hummingbird Window Manager
Old commercial window manager for Exceed X server. Would have used it
myself, but it might be trademarked (although it seems long abandoned)
and I think these guys have lawyers.
- iwm: Unknown abbreviation, Interviews Window Manager
Two separate window managers: one is someone's pet project, just like ahwm,
the other is too old to find any information about it.
- jwm: Unknown abbreviation
Looks like someone's abandoned pet project.
- kwm: KDE Window Manager
One of the premier window managers, actively developed.
- lwm: Lightweight Window Manager
Another personal project.
- mwm: Motif Window Manager
The window manager nobody uses but everyone supports (through Motif
- nwm: NooTe Window Manager
Not an X11 window manager, one of those MS Windows things.
- owm: Open Window Manager
Not an X11 window manager, a prototype window manager
for the ill-fated NeWS windowing system. Often confused
- pwm: Unknown abbreviation
A personal project, looks very well-developed.
Seems unused. I'm sure someone will write the QT Window Manager any
- rwm: Reality Window Manager
Some theoretical 3D thing.
- swm: Small Window Manager, Solbourne Window Manager
The Small Window Manager fits in less than 20K of disk, the other one
was for X11R4.
- twm: Tom's Window Manager, Tab Window Manager
The original twm.
- uwm: Ultrix Window Manager, Universal Window Manager
Can't find any information about either of these.
- vwm: Virtual Window Manager
Some Litestep thing, might not even be an actual window manager.
- wwm: Weird Window Manager
Someone's pet project.
- xwm: X Window Manager
Did you actually think you could use this? Xwm was the original window
manager for X10 and was the working title for ahwm before I found out
xwm was taken.
- ywm: Y Window Manager
Someone is writing the Y Window System, and this is the window manager.
- zwm: Unknown abbreviation
Abandoned project written in QT, built on an early version of kwin
(KDE's window manager) before kwin became as good as it is today.